From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: PSProcSets: purpose of /cw definition in F procedure?
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2010 07:26:24 GMT
Sorry for the late reply. I meant to do that yesterday but SVN was down.
I've looked into SVN history and the /cw dates back to 2001 when I
submitted the first version of a PSRenderer (before I became a committer).
I can't recall why I've added that. If everything still works without it,
then I guess it wasn't necessary and it was fine to remove it.

On 11.06.2010 19:22:21 Vincent Hennebert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The XML Graphics PostScript ProcSet contains the following definition:
> /F {
>   /Tp exch def
>   /Tf exch def
>   Tf findfont Tp scalefont setfont
>   /cf Tf def  /cs Tp def  /cw ( ) stringwidth pop def
> } bd
>
> The definition of /cw will work only if the font uses a single-byte
> encoding (in which the space character is actually encoded on byte
> number 32). Composite fonts use a more complex encoding.
>
> The question is: what purpose does this /cw serve? I did a grep in the
> whole XML Graphics and FOP codebase and AFAICT it’s not being used
> anywhere. Can we get rid of it?
>
> Thanks,
> Vincent

Jeremias Maerki