From Simon Pepping <spepp...@leverkruid.eu>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Pascal Sancho for Committer
Date Fri, 11 Dec 2009 07:23:23 GMT
On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 10:50:58AM +0000, Vincent Hennebert wrote:
> Max Berger wrote:
> > Hi *,
> >
> > I don't see the advantage of having commit rights if you do not submit
> > any code.
>
> Granting committership is a means to reward somebody for their constant
> involvement in the community. In that case it???s more for the symbolic
> side of it, although there are things a committer can do that don???t
> require coding skills (bug triage, website maintenance, etc.).

Committership is not a reward. We grant committership to those who
play a strong role in the community around FOP, and thereby we make
them a more visible member of that community with extra roles,
responsibilities and powers.

Creating code is one of those roles, and the most prominent one of
committers. The community needs many other roles in order to remain
strong. The only named role is that of a committer, and we use it for
all who lead FOP's community. It might be better to have more named
roles, but we do not have them.

Regards, Simon

--
Simon Pepping