From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Running XML Graphics products on OSGi
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2009 10:41:24 GMT
Hi Max

On 12.11.2009 11:12:02 Max Berger wrote:
> Jeremias,
>
> a late reply, but hopefully still valid:
>
> - If you use OSGi, you will either need to implement a simplified
> version for detecting plug-ins, or introduce additional dependencies
> (apache felix). Both would increase the size of xmlgraphics-commons, so
> should be carefully considered.

Yes, there will be an increase of classes necessary to handle this (-1
Services.java in XGC, and 1+ JAR of 28KB (15 classes)), but no, there
won't be a dependency on Apache Felix or any other OSGi specific class
in XGC. That's what my abstraction layer is all about: shielding
FOP/Batik from OSGi-specifics but enabling them to run in an OSGi
environment.

> - at least until fop 1.0 plug-ins written using the service approach
> should still be loaded.

My abstraction layer is designed to be a complete replacement of the
Services class but in terms of plug-in handling almost nothing changes.
The META-INF/service is still used as before. Instead of getting an
iterator with all plug-in classes you set up a simple listener which
gets notified if a plug-in becomes available or goes away. I don't
propose to suddenly use OSGi services at all. This whole thing will
still work completely without a single OSGi or Felix class in the
classpath for the big majority of users who still don't use OSGi.

> - I like the OSGi approach as it is currently widely used.

Not as widely as you might think. Otherwise, people would have come
screaming for OSGi metadata in FOP a long time ago. But yeah, OSGi is
very cool and adoption is spreading fast.

> As an idea: If you submit your code to apache felix maybe they could
> produce some kind of "felix lite" version, which would be the minimal
> osgi environment needed to replace the current "Service" class? This
> would remove my first point above

I think with my above comments I've already addressed that, but without
the need for a "Felix lite".

Jeremias Maerki