From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Status report for August 2009
Date Wed, 05 Aug 2009 10:37:34 GMT
Vincent Hennebert wrote:
> Hi Simon,

Hi Simon, Vincent,

> The report looks good. Just a thing about the ChangingIPD hack: actually
> it is still undecided whether it should be merged back to Trunk or not.
>
> My main concern about that is that it will get in the way when
> implementing the new approach. I will basically have to start with
> reverting all the changes made for the hack.
>
> My idea was to actively maintain the branch in sync with the Trunk.
> Releases could then be made from the branch. But this may actually turn
> out to be more work than reverting all the changes in one go. Plus it
> has been mentioned to me that this may create difficulties for users who
> regularly take snapshots of the Trunk (the branch will always lag
> a little bit behind).
>
> Any opinion about this is welcome. Meanwhile, I’ll modify the status
> report.

Thanks for bringing this up Vincent. I am a little reluctant to be
working off a branch as we regularly take build snapshots from trunk.
This creates a lot of extra work keeping the branch in sync.

I think we all acknowledge that the changing IPD hack is just that and
therefore code quality may be sub optimal. However, since Vincent is
working on a totally new layout engine then we expect this code to be
replaced a year or so down the line anyway. Therefore if the only reason
for not putting this change into trunk is to save effort at the point
when the new layout algorithm is introduced then I think this hack
should be merged with trunk. This is because it will be more time
consuming to do a 100 or so merges over a 1-2 year period than to remove
changes from trunk in a one time exercise.

Thanks,

Chris