From The Web Maestro <the.webmaes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Sharing Common Content Between Websites [was: Re: svn commit: r773846 - /xmlgraphics/commons/trunk/src/documentation/skinconf.xml]
Date Tue, 19 May 2009 20:15:18 GMT
Some level of sharing is possible, but IMHO the ApacheCon badge
'problem' is screaming for some sort of Apache-wide RSS solution that
automatically takes down 'expired' info and replaces it with upcoming
ones.

As for what is possible, there're a couple of ways to go about it:

1. make all xmlgraphics.a.o sites part of one site

PROs: all sites would share the same 'skin' & could easily share page
elements (e.g., ApacheCon logo)

CONs:
- Batik would lose its purple skin (& look like xmlg.a.o, commons & fop)
- tabs would be shared

2. Add 'common' TAB or TABS for common stuff (tab(s) would like to
section of xmlg.a.o/)

PROs:
- Little change from how site currently operates
- Adds a TAB to see shared content, which linkes to X G Project-level
stuff like PMCs, ASF Sponsor Program, ASF Thanks, etc.

CONs:
- Can't really 'share' page elements

Since Forrest can interact with RSS, it should be possible to create
an element that grabs the image. Someone would still have to maintain
the RSS, which would probably be best if it were a task managed by the
ApacheCon folks...

Clay

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 4:04 AM, Vincent Hennebert <vhennebert@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I had to do that change 3 times: one for the XML Graphics website, one
> for Commons, one for FOP. There is a lot of content that could be shared
> between the three websites (plus, eventually, Batik).
> Does anyone have any suggestion about that? Would that be at all
> possible with Forrest?
>
> Thanks,
> Vincent
>

>> Author: vhennebert
>> Date: Tue May 12 10:59:33 2009
>> New Revision: 773846

>> Log:
>> ApacheCon Europe 2009 is over, commented out link
>>
>> Modified:
>>     xmlgraphics/commons/trunk/src/documentation/skinconf.xml

Regards,

The Web Maestro
--
<the.webmaestro@gmail.com> - <http://ourlil.com/>