From Simon Pepping <spepp...@leverkruid.eu>
Subject Re: Sharing Common Content Between Websites [was: Re: svn commit: r773846 - /xmlgraphics/commons/trunk/src/documentation/skinconf.xml]
Date Fri, 22 May 2009 19:29:14 GMT
On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 12:31:06PM +0100, Vincent Hennebert wrote:
> The Web Maestro wrote:
> > Some level of sharing is possible, but IMHO the ApacheCon badge
> > 'problem' is screaming for some sort of Apache-wide RSS solution that
> > automatically takes down 'expired' info and replaces it with upcoming
> > ones.
>
> That???s actually quite true. Still I think there are other configuration
> items that are duplicated at the moment, and that it would be good if we
> could share them. 90% of the skinconf.xml files are identical between
> FOP and XML Graphics...

For ASF and other events or other announcements dynamic inclusion of a
common page (project or ASF wide) would work.

> I was thinking of playing with Subversion External Definitions [1] to
> store the common stuff, and possibly xinclude it in the applicable
> files. Remains to see if that???s doable with Forrest.
>
> [1] http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07s04.html

Current documentation is at:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.advanced.externals.html

> > Since Forrest can interact with RSS, it should be possible to create
> > an element that grabs the image. Someone would still have to maintain
> > the RSS, which would probably be best if it were a task managed by the
> > ApacheCon folks...

Each website would still have to be regenerated after each new RSS
message. Or do I miss the idea?

--
Simon Pepping
home page: http://www.leverkruid.eu