From Jeremias Maerki <jerem...@apache.org>
Subject [REPORT] Apache XML Graphics - February 2009
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2009 07:15:12 GMT
General Comments

There are no project-level issues. Business as usual.

XML Graphics Commons

No releases, no major changes, just a few improvements and fixes in
various components. Most changes happened in the PostScript and image
below).

Batik

Same as last time: Not much going on. A little bugfixing and code
cleanup. Activity on the users mailing list seems stable.

FOP

No releases this quarter. The AFP GOCA branch has been folded into trunk
and various improvements were done since then. The branch with the new
intermediate format is about to be finished within a matter of days.
Research for an improved approach at page breaking continues. Besides
that we've seen the usual bugfixing and a few smaller improvements.
Activity on the users mailing list seems stable. The dev list may have
been a tad less busy.

We've discussed the version number for the next release to be done
within the next reporting period. We finally seem to dare make the jump
to 1.0. The previous ideas for the 1.0 release simply proved unrealistic.
We will likely try to involve the PRC to help avoid false expectations
on the user side due to a 1.0 release after almost 10 years of
development. And we'll probably start with a beta phase first, like for
the previous release.

Terminology: "AFP" (Advanced Function Presentation) is an IBM document
and printing format. "GOCA" is AFP's graphical/vector content
specification. The "Intermediate Format" is a proprietary XML
representation of the formatted pages produced by FOP's layout engine.

Jeremias Maerki