From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r722108 - /xmlgraphics/commons/trunk/src/java/org/apache/xmlgraphics/fonts/Glyphs.java
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2008 13:50:12 GMT
Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> On 02.12.2008 13:51:06 Chris Bowditch wrote:

<snip/>

>>I think making the whole SVG Text process more transparent would
>>really help as it seems quite mystical. I know you made some further
>>notes on this process yesterday, but some more details about Font
>>substitution and glyph relations would be useful.
>

> That stuff is not mystical, just complicated because by now we have so
> much functionality and support so many different output formats which
> all have slightly different facilities. Furthermore, when I refactored
> the SVG/PDF text painting I didn't have enough time to improve Batik's
> font support so we it would be possible to plug FOP's font support into
> Batik. Add to that the fact that, for example, PostScript and AFP still
> have inferior text handling for SVG graphics which causes a higher
> percentage of SVG text to be painted as shapes.
>
> I'm not sure how to make the documentation much clearer. Font
> substitution itself is well documented. I'm hesitant to go in the
> details of glyph relations because the best approach would be to
> document all the substitutions we make and if that data is not generated
> from the same source as the functionality in the code we always risk
> losing synchronization. And that's a lot of work for little gain.

You mentioned that Dialog gets translated to Times, why that happens is
not clear to me. If there are a set of hard coded Font substitutions
then they should be documented. If it's something the AWT classes do
then a sentence that says Fonts may be substituted as per rules
documented in X would be helpful.

You misunderstood me when I said to document glyph substitutions. I was
thinking more along the lines of a sentence that said "glyphs are
subject to substitution as per the Unicode standard Annex 14 <link/>" or
similar.

Thanks,

Chris