From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r722108 - /xmlgraphics/commons/trunk/src/java/org/apache/xmlgraphics/fonts/Glyphs.java
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2008 11:50:28 GMT
Jeremias Maerki wrote:

FWIW, I am happy with the glyph substitution the way Jeremias has
implemented it.

>>Hi Jeremias,
>>
>>Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>>
>>Plus, while it makes sense to replace
>>minus-sign with hyphen-minus when minus-sign is not available, the other
>>way around is not acceptable. Anyway, since in practice this will
>>probably never happen, the whole thing can probably be simplified.
>

> Not acceptable under whose authority? You're stating your opinion.
>
> Hey, this is just a mechanism that tries to get a reasonable result if a
> glyph in a font is missing. If someone is not happy with the result,
> he's free to use a different font.

This is exactly the use case I'm concerned about. Font designers doing
things the user doesn't expect. I think it would be unfortunate if FOP
blindly followed a spec in this case at the detriment of the user. It's
not easy to get a Font changed.

Thanks,

Chris