From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r722108 - /xmlgraphics/commons/trunk/src/java/org/apache/xmlgraphics/fonts/Glyphs.java
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2008 12:51:06 GMT
Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> Hi Vincent,
>
> these alternatives are only taken as a last resort before mentioning
> that a glyph cannot be found. Unicode does list "minus" (Unicode: 2212,
> MINUS-SIGN) to be related to "hyphen" (Unicode: 002D, HYPHEN-MINUS).
> Otherwise, I wouldn't have made the change. The change is also not about
> replacing minus for a hyphen, but for the other way around. I can of
> course add a warning if an alternative glyph is used. But I guess some
> people would find the warning welcome while others might find it a
> nuisance. Can we get some additional opinions to reach an informed
> decision, please?

Thanks for the explanation. I was also thinking about this yesterday
afternoon. I don't like the idea of the warning, because that makes
users think there is something wrong when in fact there isn't but maybe
an info level event instead to help make the process more transparent.

Does this glyph relationship apply to XSL-FO and SVG Text or just SVG
text? I think making the whole SVG Text process more transparent would
really help as it seems quite mystical. I know you made some further
notes on this process yesterday, but some more details about Font
substitution and glyph relations would be useful.

BTW, XEP does the same glyph substitution, so I guessed there must be
some standard dictating this behaviour.

Regards,

Chris