From Vincent Hennebert <vhenneb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r722108 - /xmlgraphics/commons/trunk/src/java/org/apache/xmlgraphics/fonts/Glyphs.java
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2008 13:09:30 GMT
Hi All,

Thanks for your comments.

Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> <snip/>
>>> Not acceptable under whose authority? You're stating your opinion.
>> Under the authority of the Unicode standard as I understand it. In some
>> cases hyphen-minus may be interpreted as a minus sign (section 6.2,
>> “General Punctuation”), but the opposite appears nowhere.
>
> Ah, we're looking in different places. I'm looking in the code charts.
> Section 6.2 talks about the semantics of the characters, but I'm talking
> about glyph selection. I don't think that's the same. FOP has to
> interpret characters according to section 6.2 during layout but (IMO) when
> it comes to painting glyphs the semantics are not necessarily applicable
> if you try to provide fallbacks.

Being given a bit more context throughout this thread, and looking
further into the code, I now understand the intent of it, and it’s quite
sensible and reasonable to me. Especially since there may be several
glyph names for the same code point (e.g., mu and mu1).

However, on this particular change I still don’t agree. Replacing hyphen
with minus and vice-versa is likely to give an ugly result. Why not adding
en dash and em dash while we’re at it? I’d rather add hyphentwo (U+2010)
to the list of alternatives for hyphen. If there were a glyph name for
non-breaking hyphen (U+2011) that would make sense to add it too. I can
imagine a purist font designer who would create a glyph for hyphen
(U+2010) and not for the disputed hyphen-minus (U+002D).

Vincent