From Vincent Hennebert <vhenneb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r722108 - /xmlgraphics/commons/trunk/src/java/org/apache/xmlgraphics/fonts/Glyphs.java
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2008 17:40:21 GMT
Hi Jeremias,

Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> Hi Vincent,
>
> these alternatives are only taken as a last resort before mentioning
> that a glyph cannot be found. Unicode does list "minus" (Unicode: 2212,
> MINUS-SIGN) to be related to "hyphen" (Unicode: 002D, HYPHEN-MINUS).
> Otherwise, I wouldn't have made the change. The change is also not about
> replacing minus for a hyphen, but for the other way around.

Ah, so actually the purpose of the change is to add the possibility to
use HYPHEN-MINUS in place of MINUS-SIGN? The commit message says the
opposite.
AFAICT Unicode does not list minus-sign to be related to hyphen-minus,
rather the other way around. I don’t want to split hairs but since the
confusion is very easy we have to be careful of what we’re saying.

And as far as I understand from the code, for /every/ glyph in the
table, all of the other glyphs are added as possible fall-back glyphs
(example: with {"zero", "zerooldstyle"} zero is added as a fall-back for
zerooldstyle and vice-versa). I’m not sure this is very useful anyway:
the usage of the method shows that the first glyph is a ‘common’ one,
likely to be found in any font. Plus, while it makes sense to replace
minus-sign with hyphen-minus when minus-sign is not available, the other
way around is not acceptable. Anyway, since in practice this will
probably never happen, the whole thing can probably be simplified.

> I can of
> course add a warning if an alternative glyph is used. But I guess some
> people would find the warning welcome while others might find it a
> nuisance. Can we get some additional opinions to reach an informed
> decision, please?

>> Hi Jeremias,
>>
>>> Author: jeremias
>>> Date: Mon Dec  1 08:00:50 2008
>>> New Revision: 722108

>>> Log:
>>> Added "minus" as an alternative for "hyphen" & Co.
>> Why? minus has nothing to do with hyphen, and the result is likely to
>> look terrible. I think I would prefer to have a warning rather than
>> a silent replacement. Anyway, if a font doesn’t even define a glyph for
>> hyphen, then I doubt it will define one for the true minus.
>>
>> <snip/>
>>
>> Vincent
>

> Jeremias Maerki

Vincent