From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: svn commit: r722108 - /xmlgraphics/commons/trunk/src/java/org/apache/xmlgraphics/fonts/Glyphs.java
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2008 11:19:15 GMT
On 03.12.2008 11:48:40 Vincent Hennebert wrote:
<snip/>
> >> Plus, while it makes sense to replace
> >> minus-sign with hyphen-minus when minus-sign is not available, the other
> >> way around is not acceptable. Anyway, since in practice this will
> >> probably never happen, the whole thing can probably be simplified.
> >
> > Not acceptable under whose authority? You're stating your opinion.
>
> Under the authority of the Unicode standard as I understand it. In some
> cases hyphen-minus may be interpreted as a minus sign (section 6.2,
> “General Punctuation”), but the opposite appears nowhere.

Ah, we're looking in different places. I'm looking in the code charts.
Section 6.2 talks about the semantics of the characters, but I'm talking
about glyph selection. I don't think that's the same. FOP has to
interpret characters according to section 6.2 during layout but (IMO) when
it comes to painting glyphs the semantics are not necessarily applicable
if you try to provide fallbacks.

<snip/>

Jeremias Maerki