From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: svn commit: r722108 - /xmlgraphics/commons/trunk/src/java/org/apache/xmlgraphics/fonts/Glyphs.java
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2008 12:12:29 GMT
Hi Vincent,

these alternatives are only taken as a last resort before mentioning
that a glyph cannot be found. Unicode does list "minus" (Unicode: 2212,
MINUS-SIGN) to be related to "hyphen" (Unicode: 002D, HYPHEN-MINUS).
Otherwise, I wouldn't have made the change. The change is also not about
replacing minus for a hyphen, but for the other way around. I can of
course add a warning if an alternative glyph is used. But I guess some
people would find the warning welcome while others might find it a
nuisance. Can we get some additional opinions to reach an informed
decision, please?

On 02.12.2008 12:22:29 Vincent Hennebert wrote:
> Hi Jeremias,
>
> > Author: jeremias
> > Date: Mon Dec  1 08:00:50 2008
> > New Revision: 722108

> > Log:
> > Added "minus" as an alternative for "hyphen" & Co.
>
> Why? minus has nothing to do with hyphen, and the result is likely to
> look terrible. I think I would prefer to have a warning rather than
> a silent replacement. Anyway, if a font doesn’t even define a glyph for
> hyphen, then I doubt it will define one for the true minus.
>
> <snip/>
>
> Vincent

Jeremias Maerki