From Thomas <Thomas.Ma...@uni-kassel.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release FOP 0.95
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2008 12:30:22 GMT
Am 04.08.2008 um 11:03 schrieb Jeremias Maerki:
> On 01.08.2008 11:41:15 Max Berger wrote:
>> Jeremias,
>>
>> first of all, thank you for your hard work in this.
>
> The release itself wasn't so much hard work as it was boring and
> error-prone.
> The real problem: Each time you start up your Ubuntu (used to build
> the
> release) in the VM it wants to update itself, reboot itself. If it
> doesn't boot anymore afterwards, you have to figure out how to boot
> with
> the previous kernel first. And there so many people say Linux is so
> much
> better than Windoze. Well, maybe it had something to do with
> compatibility to VirtualBox, but I'm not quite ready to go dual-boot
> just yet.

Getting further off topic here but I guess you're having some sort of
weird problem there.  Reboots are usually only required after a kernel
update which doesn't happen too often.  Maybe you have enabled some
setting in VirtualBox so that write operations to your hard disk are
automatically discarded on next boot?  Well, OTOH I guess not because
you wouldn't experience problems on the next boot, then.  But it
sounds definitely as if there is something very wrong. I won't argue
whether Linux or Windoze is better but one thing is for sure: the
upgrade mechanism of Linux distros beats the pants off all other
operating system I've ever installed and used (i.e. Windows and Mac OS
X)

>> Jeremias Maerki schrieb:
>>> 58593e6c86be17d7dc03c829630fd152 *fop-0.95-src.tar.gz
>>> c3625c66e368e3a6ae52e1d8607e6c92 *fop-0.95-bin.zip
>>
>> Tested the .zip artifact, and compared the tgz with the zip, both are
>> identical and work as expected.
>> +1
>>
>> I do have one issue with it though (I think this was present in all
>> previous releases, so it may be a bug in the release procedure):
>> The ZIP
>> file does not contain the right permissions for the execution script
>> (fop). The tgz has these permissions.
>
> AFAIK, ZIP doesn't support the execution flag. Not sure that this
> can be
> fixed at all. Or am I wrong?

I thought so, too.  But at least http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/zip.html
  says:

Starting with Ant 1.5.2, <zip> can store Unix permissions inside the
archive (see description of the filemode and dirmode attributes for
<zipfileset>). Unfortunately there is no portable way to store these
permissions. Ant uses the algorithm used by Info-Zip's implementation
of the zip and unzip commands - these are the default versions of zip
and unzip for many Unix and Unix-like systems.

HTH, Thomas.