From Max Berger <...@berger.name>
Subject Re: URIResolvers
Date Mon, 25 Aug 2008 08:33:37 GMT
Jeremias,

Jeremias Maerki schrieb:
> (Moving to general as we're talking about code in Commons, not FOP)
>
> Thanks for sharing. I have two observations here:
> 1. CommonURIResolver is final and designed as a Singleton. In my past
> experience that restricts its usefulness too much.

Noted. I'll make it public and rename the getInstance to getDefault...

> 2. It should be noted that this approach here only allows "general"
> resolvers. There's no access to "local" configuration or context
> information that allows customizing the behaviour. Such URI resolver
> will still have to be set up by the users.

The URIResolver in FOP will probably have to stay very similar to the
way it works right now, for that exact reason.

> I'm curious: what kind of URI resolver do you want to add here from a
> plug-in that motivated you to do this?

One that resolves well-known URIs to embedded URIs. In particular URIs
such as
"http://www.w3.org/Math/DTD/mathml2/mathml2.dtd" and
"http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd" would be mapped to
jar:... for faster (and in particular offline) resolution.

For testing purposes, the xml: URI seems like a very interesting addition.

Max