From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Temporary File Storage
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2008 09:58:14 GMT
On 01.08.2008 18:42:43 Adrian Cumiskey wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have written a set of general purpose temporary file storage classes that are used
by the AFP
> Renderer in FOP on the Temp_AFPGOCAResources branch I am working on.  I use them to temporarily

> store and retrieve image files and AFP data structures to disk in a memory conservative
fashion.

> I have abstracted away all AFP specific functions into subclasses and am now thinking
that these
> base classes would prove quite useful for some other temporary storage needs and was
wondering where
> they might best reside.
>
> I think it should probably best go in commons-io, but it is maybe a little high level
for there and
> would impose an additional dependency on FOP

How so?

> I'd also maybe need to request some karma to commit
> them to the project.

Well, you'd need to make a proposal there before you could commit it.
Karma is the second step IMO.

>  I'm also thinking it would seem a little wrong for them to go in
> xmlgraphics-commons as the work has nothing to do with images/fonts or output formats.

So why did you commit it anyway? Without giving everyone a chance to
react first?

So far, I've only moved stuff to XGC which was clearly destined to be
shared between Batik and FOP or which was dependent on those shared components.

> Maybe I should just place them in FOP for now?  I would be interested to hear your suggestions
on
> where you think they should live.

IMO, FOP is the right place for now. Probably even under the AFP package.
ATM, I can't see too much of another use case for it. I'm writing to a
temporary file in the PostScript renderer, too, but I don't see how your
code would help me there (as an example). The code can always be
moved to a different place if new use cases pop up.

Related to that, I've been thinking about setting up a Wiki page for
Apache Commons IO that lists IO-related classes and packages in other
Apache projects so that candidates for a move to common-io can easily be
identified.

Jeremias Maerki