From Vincent Hennebert <vincent.henneb...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Branching for Releases
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2008 10:37:55 GMT
Hi,

Jeremias’ branching for the Commons 1.3 release has just reminded me
that I wanted to talk about the tagging method.

In my opinion there’s no need to copy the Trunk into the branches/
directory before tagging it. That comes from the CVS time where a tag
was attributed to a release number and thus was unmodifiable.

With Subversion this is different: we just make a copy of the branch
into another branch that appears to be called “tags”. But that doesn’t
make the files under it unmodifiable. So we could copy the Trunk
directly into that branch, and prepare the release there. That would
reduce the number of manipulations. The only drawback I can think of is
that you’re never sure that the release files really come from the
latest revision of that branch, while currently it’s possible to make
a diff between branches/ and tags/. But I don’t think this would really
be a problem.

Of course now that the copy has been made into the branches/ directory,
let’s just go on the usual way for the 1.3 release.

WDYT?

Vincent