From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: [CANCELLED][VOTE] Release FOP 0.95beta
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2008 11:13:57 GMT
On 19.03.2008 11:58:28 Vincent Hennebert wrote:
> Vincent Hennebert wrote:
> > Vote cancelled, the artifacts are screwed up.
> >
> > Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> >> I'm afraid I have to -1 this vote as the contents of the tag don't match
> >> the contents of the source distribution. The source distribution doesn't
> >> build as it still contains the recently deleted old image adapters. When
> >> you build the distribution you have to make absolutely sure that you do
> >> that from a fresh (!) checkout from the tag you built earlier.
> >
> > I thought just a svn up would make the thing. I don’t really understand
> > why the old image code can still be found in the src distribution file
> > while it is no longer showing up in my local copy of the tag.
>
> Actually a svn up should be allright, but I probably didn't ant clean my
> build directory before creating the artifacts. Anyway, restarting from
> a fresh checkout now.

No, an "svn up" is unsafe as you might miss local modifications. Imagine
you looking into a text file with your favourite text editor, as part of
verifying the release, and out of habit you press Ctrl-S without even
noticing it. The text editor might create a backup file (<filename>.bak
or something else). The "svn up" will not notice that. Only a "svn
status" will reveal the difference. It's really just a LOT safer to do a
fresh checkout as you're basically mimicking a normal user trying to
rebuild the release.

> > Anyway, thank you very much for noticing that. I’ll prepare new
> > artifacts and relaunch the vote shortly.
>
> --
> Vincent Hennebert                            Anyware Technologies
> http://people.apache.org/~vhennebert         http://www.anyware-tech.com
> Apache FOP Committer                         FOP Development/Consulting

Jeremias Maerki