From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Branching for Releases
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2008 10:55:58 GMT
Vincent,

I'm really not open for this discussion. Technically, it could be done
as you propose. Historically and following best practices, what we do is
state of the art in Subversion. See also:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn.branchmerge.commonuses.html#svn.branchmerge.commonuses.patterns

In a nutshell: Work is done on trunk and branches, a "tag" is NEVER
modified once it is created. A "tag" is used as an easy pointer to the
revision that was used to create a release.

The drawback you're mentioning is exactly the reason why I don't want to
change our patterns. But this is a democracy. Let's see....

On 03.03.2008 11:37:55 Vincent Hennebert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Jeremias’ branching for the Commons 1.3 release has just reminded me
> that I wanted to talk about the tagging method.
>
> In my opinion there’s no need to copy the Trunk into the branches/
> directory before tagging it. That comes from the CVS time where a tag
> was attributed to a release number and thus was unmodifiable.
>
> With Subversion this is different: we just make a copy of the branch
> into another branch that appears to be called “tags”. But that doesn’t
> make the files under it unmodifiable. So we could copy the Trunk
> directly into that branch, and prepare the release there. That would
> reduce the number of manipulations. The only drawback I can think of is
> that you’re never sure that the release files really come from the
> latest revision of that branch, while currently it’s possible to make
> a diff between branches/ and tags/. But I don’t think this would really
> be a problem.
>
> Of course now that the copy has been made into the branches/ directory,
> let’s just go on the usual way for the 1.3 release.
>
> WDYT?
>
> Vincent
>

> --
> Vincent Hennebert                            Anyware Technologies
> http://people.apache.org/~vhennebert         http://www.anyware-tech.com
> Apache FOP Committer                         FOP Development/Consulting

Jeremias Maerki