From Andreas L Delmelle <a_l.delme...@pandora.be>
Subject Re: FOP's new image package in Commons?
Date Sun, 16 Dec 2007 09:51:22 GMT

On Dec 16, 2007, at 10:25, Max Berger wrote:

> Andreas,
>
>> How about using a very basic message handling system, to which
>> users can plug in any bridge (like JCL) or specific implementation
>> (like log4j) of their choosing?
>> On the Commons side, this would mean at most a handful of
>> proprietary classes/interfaces, one to which all messages are routed.
>> Users can subclass/implement that interface to decide what to do
>> with them in their particular context.
>> Commons' own default implementation would simply send the messages
>> to System.out or System.err, thereby removing any dependency on a
>> specific logging framework whatsoever.
>
> What you are describing is exactly commons-logging :).

Not really what I had in mind, or IOW: Yes, with a big BUT...

There is a difference between a Logger.warn() message, which I take
to be meant for developers to help debug certain issues, and
ErrorListener.warning(), which is specifically meant for the external
application and the end-user.
I see JCL only as an abstraction for the former, not the latter.

> The only addition that commons-logging has is a very sophisticated
> (and highly criticized) auto-detection mechanism which detects the
> type of logging framework currently in use and will auto-plugin is
> specific handler.

OK, and users could still opt for this solution. Only difference is:
we would not be forcing the dependency on JCL down their throat, so
to speak.

Andreas