From Thomas <Thomas.Ma...@uni-kassel.de>
Subject Re: FOP's new image package in Commons?
Date Sat, 15 Dec 2007 00:00:15 GMT
Am 13.12.2007 um 09:23 schrieb Jeremias Maerki:
> On 13.12.2007 07:46:14 The Web Maestro wrote:
> [...]
>> On the logging front, isn't it possible to code the Logging
>> dependencies such that you only load the Logging functionality if
>> it's
>> needed/called?
>
> Source code pre-processing. Shudder. Byte code magic. Hmm. :-/ Still,
> I'm glad Java doesn't have "features" like C or ObjectPascal to
> include/exclude code parts at compile time.

Being a complete outsider here (one of your actual _users_, yay!) and
only having skimmed through the thread while catching up after a
short vacation, have you considered using slf4j (http://
www.slf4j.org/)?  I have no idea about the state that project is in
and whether it suits your needs but it wasn't mentioned, yet (maybe
for obvious reasons I have missed).  I read that you're discussing
converting your logging statements anyway, but _really_, just rushing
here, it's already late in Germany :).  I have used it a while ago in
one of my own projects and on their page I just see that several
Apache projects are using it :p.  HTH, Thomas.