From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: FOP's new image package in Commons?
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2007 08:23:23 GMT
On 13.12.2007 07:46:14 The Web Maestro wrote:
<snip/>
> In fact, I'm wondering if we don't put more emphasis on the Graphics
> part of 'Apache XML Graphics Project' in our mission:
>
>   The Apache XML Graphics Project is responsible for software
>   licensed to the Apache Software Foundation  intended for the
>   creation & maintenance of:
>
>       * the conversion of XML formats to graphical output
>       * related software components

Graphics are an important part of what we do here. I realize that XML
Graphics Commons has not much to do with XML (except for the XMP part).
This is a topic that has been raised before and with the move of font
and PDF code to Commons, this will probably be reinforced. So it's
absolutely valid to think about different routes. However, that would
again generate more work and the factorization of the common parts into
a Commons alone creates enough work. At any rate, we're still operating
within the limits of the project charter, but if anyone from the outside
comes and proposes to move certain components to another, to-be-created
Apache project, I wouldn't have a problem with that. At the moment, it's
just us caring for the code so I don't see a need to do anything. I'd
say: let's concentrate on a clean dependency tree first.

> As for dependencies, it doesn't surprise or disappoint me much that
> Apache FOP and Apache Batik would require Apache XML Graphics Commons
> (hence the name Commons). I guess it'd be nice if features and
> functionality could somehow be compartmentalized, so projects (FOP,
> Batik, as well as external projects) could load only what they need.

Hacking the Ant build is easy. There's nothing stopping anyone from
proposing a patch if this becomes important.

> On the logging front, isn't it possible to code the Logging
> dependencies such that you only load the Logging functionality if it's
> needed/called?

Source code pre-processing. Shudder. Byte code magic. Hmm. :-/ Still,
I'm glad Java doesn't have "features" like C or ObjectPascal to
include/exclude code parts at compile time.

Jeremias Maerki