From Cameron McCormack <...@mcc.id.au>
Subject Re: FOP's new image package in Commons?
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2007 00:32:42 GMT
Hi Jeremias.

Jeremias Maerki:
> My proposal now would be:
>
> I could move the new image package from org.apache.fop.image2 [2] (in
> the temporary branch) to Commons.
>
> The new package name needs to be discussed as there is already an
> org.apache.xmlgraphics.image. My proposal:
>
> org.apache.xmlgraphics.image.loader (in analogy to the writers)

Would this be a replacement for Batik’s
org.apache.batik.ext.awt.image.spi.* classes?  They currently use an SPI
interface to provide access to codecs, which take a stream/URL and
return a org.apache.batik.ext.awt.image.renderable.Filter.

I’m all for rationalising the image handling code between Batik and FOP
so that as much commonality as possible can be factored out.

I haven’t delved into Batik’s image code much, though, so I can’t be
sure what your image package might lack that Batik requires without
taking a fair chunk of time to go through the code (which I don’t have
at the moment).  Perhaps Thomas is more familiar with the image code?

> Key features of the package:
> - Image preloading: format detection and reading the intrinsic size of
> the image without loading the whole image into memory (works for most
> images).
> - Unified API for all kinds of images.
> - Image conversion facility: bitmap->Java2D, Java2D->bitmap, bitmap->PNG,
> WMF->Java2D, SVG->Java2D
> - Image consumers can simply tell the package what kind of images it
> supports and the image library tries to provide the image in the best
> possible format (possibly using automatic image conversion).
> - Currently supported: All bitmap formats supported by ImageIO codecs,
> SVG/WMF through Batik, EPS (only usable for PostScript output without a
> PostScript interpreter in the back)
> - Custom image loaders and converters can be dynamically plugged in.
> - Image cache (using soft references)

How about PDF->Java2D?  That could be neat.

--
Cameron McCormack, http://mcc.id.au/