From Andreas L Delmelle <a_l.delme...@pandora.be>
Subject Re: FOP's new image package in Commons?
Date Sun, 16 Dec 2007 08:13:57 GMT
On Dec 13, 2007, at 09:23, Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> On 13.12.2007 07:46:14 The Web Maestro wrote:
> <snip />
>> As for dependencies, it doesn't surprise or disappoint me much that
>> Apache FOP and Apache Batik would require Apache XML Graphics Commons
>> (hence the name Commons). I guess it'd be nice if features and
>> functionality could somehow be compartmentalized, so projects (FOP,
>> Batik, as well as external projects) could load only what they need.
>
> Hacking the Ant build is easy. There's nothing stopping anyone from
> proposing a patch if this becomes important.
>
>> On the logging front, isn't it possible to code the Logging
>> dependencies such that you only load the Logging functionality if
>> it's
>> needed/called?
>
> Source code pre-processing. Shudder. Byte code magic. Hmm. :-/ Still,
> I'm glad Java doesn't have "features" like C or ObjectPascal to
> include/exclude code parts at compile time.

If it is that big an issue, as an idea to avoid this dependency
altogether (and also keeping in mind the upcoming discussion
concerning FOP's processing-feedback):

How about using a very basic message handling system, to which users
can plug in any bridge (like JCL) or specific implementation (like
log4j) of their choosing?
On the Commons side, this would mean at most a handful of proprietary
classes/interfaces, one to which all messages are routed.
Users can subclass/implement that interface to decide what to do with
them in their particular context.
Commons' own default implementation would simply send the messages to
System.out or System.err, thereby removing any dependency on a
specific logging framework whatsoever.

I guess I'm thinking in the direction of something like a hybrid of a
Logger (meant for development-related info) and an ErrorListener
(meant for external applications/users), with the ability/feature of
being able to route log-info through one channel and processing-
feedback through another.

The only dependency for both FOP and Batik would be on this component
in Commons.

Just my 2 cents

Andreas