From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Fw: [DISCUSS] PDFBox proposal
Date Thu, 15 Nov 2007 08:04:52 GMT
Yesterday, we've discussed a possible incubation of PDFBox at the ASF.
There are several projects that are interested in such a move. For us
here in the XML Graphics project, PDFBox is interesting due to its
parsing functionality. Our own PDF library doesn't have that
functionality and is instead optimized for writing PDF which PDFBox
isn't.

As you may know, I've implemented a FOP plug-in that allows embedding of
PDF in newly generated PDF documents through XSL-FO. Using the same PDF
library for both tasks would be beneficial in the long-term.

Please take a look at the incubation proposal (link below) we're
currently writing. I have some questions to the XML Graphics community
in this context:

- Should the XML Graphics PMC be the sponsoring entity? [1]
- Can anyone besides me imagine investing time/resources to help with
the incubation, teaching PDFBox additional tricks like we need them?
- Can we imagine PDFBox becoming a subproject of XML Graphics after
successful incubation? PDF is not really an XML technology but deals
with graphical output. Newer technologies like XPS (Microsoft's XML
paper specification) and Adobe's Mars are XML-based paged document
formats. Not that they play a big role in the market, yet.

[1] Makes sense if we have a strong interest in PDFBox. If it's just me,
then it doesn't make sense and we're going to find a different solution.

Please note: We have some functionality overlap between our PDF library
and PDFBox in any case. Examples:
- Writing PDF (org.apache.fop.pdf)
- Parsing fonts (org.apache.fop.fonts, org.apache.batik.svggen.font.table)
- Font conversion (org.apache.batik.svggen.font)
- XMP metadata (org.apache.xmlgraphics.xmp)
- Image loading (org.apache.fop.image, org.apache.batik.ext.awt.image.spi)

BTW, the above table shows some spots where we could actually discuss
better cooperation within XML Graphics, i.e. between Batik & FOP.

Thoughts?

Forwarded by Jeremias Maerki <dev@jeremias-maerki.ch>