From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Going for 1.4 or 1.5 as minimum Java version?
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2007 08:50:57 GMT
Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> No reactions so far. Interesting. Anyway, based on the user poll, my
> opinion is to go for Java 1.4 for the moment and reevaluate Java 1.5
> next summer. I mean I'd love to use generics and java.util.concurrent
> but I think it is just a bit too soon to drop 1.4.

I agree. I don't want Java 1.4 dropped yet because of the type of
environments where FOP will typically be used, i.e. Batch Processing
environments which are often old mainframes, e.g. AS/400, or other older
and less popular Unix flavours. Most of these older environments simply
cannot be upgraded to newer JDKs and by excluding them we are making
people either stay on older releases of FOP or losing potential users.
Neither scenario sits well with me, and I fail to see the real benefit
that generics gives us. I can still implement new functionality without
them, no?

<snip/>

Chris