From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [DRAFT] Preparing a user poll for JDK 1.3 compatibility
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2007 08:19:27 GMT
Vincent Hennebert wrote:

> Cameron McCormack a écrit :

>>  http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/
>>
>>So that’s only 9 months away.
>

> Man, I didn’t realize this was so near. And I’d love to see enums and
> generics getting their way in the codebase, that would really ease our
> work.
>
> There will probably be one FOP and Batik release before EOL is reached,
> and where we should keep 1.4 compatibility. Then if Sun abandons 1.4
> support I don’t see why we shouldn’t do the same.

Sorry to spoil the party, but I would be against such a move in the
medium term. There are too many old servers and mainframe systems out
there that are used for batch processing that cannot be upgraded.
Getting them onto 1.4 is hard enough, with the older OS' requiring a
long list of patches to be applied.

Now if FOP's main audience wasn't a batch processing environment then I
feel there would be a strong case to jump to 1.5, but because it is
mostly used in batch processing and because most large organisations
have a lot of older mainframes and unix systems that cannot be easily
upgraded to run Java 1.5 then FOP would lose a large % of its users by
doing the switch.

Still the user poll will help confirm or deny that I guess :-/

Chris