From Andreas L Delmelle <a_l.delme...@pandora.be>
Subject Re: Going for 1.4 or 1.5 as minimum Java version?
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2007 16:01:09 GMT
On Oct 17, 2007, at 10:16, Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> No reactions so far. Interesting. Anyway, based on the user poll, my
> opinion is to go for Java 1.4 for the moment and reevaluate Java 1.5
> next summer. I mean I'd love to use generics and java.util.concurrent
> but I think it is just a bit too soon to drop 1.4.
>
> Any objections to that course of action? Should we have a majority
> decision on whether 1.4 or 1.5 should be the new minimal Java level?

Not as far as I'm concerned. +1 for staying with 1.4 for the time being.

Chris is right. We don't really /need/ 1.5 to implement new features.
It would be more a convenience than a necessity, so has very low
priority IMO.
Should anyone feel compelled to use 1.5, he could always integrate it
much in the same way the 1.3-1.4 gap has been dealt with (separate
build targets to be able to build on both versions without too much
hassle).

Cheers

Andreas