From Vincent Hennebert <vincent.henneb...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: [DRAFT] Preparing a user poll for JDK 1.3 compatibility
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2007 07:47:06 GMT
Cameron McCormack a écrit :
> Hi Jeremias.
>
> Jeremias Maerki:
>> Any other questions you want answered? Any objection to taking Batik and
>> Commons into the same questionaire and make the "Java 1.4 question" a
>> project vote rather than a subproject vote?
>
> No, that’s fine.  Moving everything at once seems to be sensible, given
> the interdependencies between the subprojects.
>
> I would like the survey to find out whether jumping to Java 5 would be
> acceptable.  The Java 1.4 will reach its EOL when Java 7 comes out,
> which according to this page is (northern hemisphere) summer 2008:
>
>   http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/
>
> So that’s only 9 months away.

Man, I didn’t realize this was so near. And I’d love to see enums and
generics getting their way in the codebase, that would really ease our
work.

There will probably be one FOP and Batik release before EOL is reached,
and where we should keep 1.4 compatibility. Then if Sun abandons 1.4
support I don’t see why we shouldn’t do the same.

So I agree this would be good to ask the question about directly jumping
to 1.5. I can help you re-formulating the questionnaire if you want.

Vincent