From "The Web Maestro" <the.webmaes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Going for 1.4 or 1.5 as minimum Java version?
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2007 16:44:08 GMT
On 10/17/07, Jeremias Maerki <dev@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote:
> No reactions so far. Interesting. Anyway, based on the user poll, my
> opinion is to go for Java 1.4 for the moment and reevaluate Java 1.5
> next summer. I mean I'd love to use generics and java.util.concurrent
> but I think it is just a bit too soon to drop 1.4.
>
> Any objections to that course of action? Should we have a majority
> decision on whether 1.4 or 1.5 should be the new minimal Java level?
>
> Jeremias Maerki

Java 1.4 seems the safer bet. Anyone who needs pre-1.4 can use 0.20.5
or 0.93 (or pre-0.94). I see the logic in maintaining support for 1.4
until Sun completes the End of Life process for it.

We may want consider explicitly stating when we plan to drop support
for JDK 1.4 in our road map (e.g., fop-1.0--or whatever version--will
be the last planned release of FOP to support JDK 1.4).

BTW Max, thanks for the analysis of systems. It might be nice to do a
similar survey of JDK versio support for FOP, that we could add to our
FAQ.

--
Regards,

The Web Maestro