From "The Web Maestro" <the.webmaes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DRAFT] Preparing a user poll for JDK 1.3 compatibility
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2007 03:21:57 GMT
On 10/1/07, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au> wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki:
> > Any other questions you want answered? Any objection to taking Batik and
> > Commons into the same questionaire and make the "Java 1.4 question" a
> > project vote rather than a subproject vote?
>
> No, that's fine.  Moving everything at once seems to be sensible, given
> the interdependencies between the subprojects.

I agree. It makes sense for the Apache XML Graphics Project to try to
alleviate as many of these issues as possible.

> I would like the survey to find out whether jumping to Java 5 would be
> acceptable.  The Java 1.4 will reach its EOL when Java 7 comes out,
> which according to this page is (northern hemisphere) summer 2008:
>
>   http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/
>
> So that's only 9 months away.

Good point. Java 1.3 is a fair jump as it is, but it makes sense, that
if we're going to make a leap anyway, we consider the further leap if
it's within reach. At the very least, I agree it is good practice for
us to consider asking the hard questions that will bring us closer to
a release giving us the greatest benefit.

--
Regards,

The Web Maestro
--