From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject [DRAFT] Preparing a user poll for JDK 1.3 compatibility
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2007 13:24:44 GMT
I said earlier that I want a user poll and a vote before changing the
minimal JDK version to support for FOP (and Batik). Now that I have more
time for XML Graphics again, I should probably follow up on that. I
would like to set up one of those online surveys to get some feedback
from the users prior to the vote. I'm thinking about putting up the
following questions:

1. Which Apache XML Graphics subprojects do you use?
  a) Apache Batik (SVG)          yes/no/don't know  Version: ______
  b) Apache FOP (XSL-FO)         yes/no/don't know  Version: ______
  c) Apache XML Graphics Commons yes/no/don't know  Version: ______

2. What operating system are you on?
  Windows    dev/prod   Version: ________
  Linux      dev/prod   Version: ________
  Solaris    dev/prod   Version: ________
  BSD        dev/prod   Version: ________
  MacOSX     dev/prod   Version: ________
  AIX        dev/prod   Version: ________
  other no1  dev/prod   Name&Version: ________
  other no2  dev/prod   Name&Version: ________

3. What hardware are you running your production systems on?

4. What Java Virtual Machine versions do you use in development (Brand &
Version of the JVMs in use)?

5. What Java Virtual Machine versions do you use in production (Brand &
Version of the JVMs in use)?

6. If you use Java 1.3 or earlier in production, do you have a need to
stay on the latest versions of Apache XML Graphics products?
   o yes, because: _________________________________________________
   o no
   o I run Java 1.4 or later.

7. If you use Java 1.3 or earlier in production, what's the reason you
cannot migrate to Java 1.4 or later?
   o There's no Java 1.4 or later for the operating system we use.
   o There's some software that doesn't run on 1.4 or later so we're
stuck.
   o Company policy
  Other comments/reasons: _____________________________________________

8. Are you aware that the end-of-life process for Sun's Java 1.3 has
ended in December 2006?
   o yes
   o no

9. Anything else you would like to tell us while you're at it?

Any other questions you want answered? Any objection to taking Batik and
Commons into the same questionaire and make the "Java 1.4 question" a
project vote rather than a subproject vote?

Thanks,
Jeremias Maerki