From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Moving JEuclid into Apache XMLGraphics as incubator
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2007 09:53:50 GMT
I agree that JEuclid would be a good fit as a new subproject of Apache XML
Graphics. But as I said last year, incubation takes a lot of energy from
several people. I think FOP and XML Graphics as a whole could profit
from having JEuclid nearer. Therefore, I'm willing to invest
some time in this. I guess the Champion would have to be me
unless Christian or Joerg volunteer.

The issue: I'm not using MathML at all and I cannot give this a very
high priority on my side. The biggest effort will have to come from the
JEuclid developers. And we will need some help from existing committers.
I don't know how extensive all the software grant or CLA gathering (for
IP clearance) will have to be. That's something we'll have to find out.
Please note that no releases can happen between the start of the
incubation and the completion of the IP clearance process.

I guess one thing to do before voting is to have a formal proposal as
required by Incubation Policy:
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Proposal
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/proposal.html
The proposal will help us understand if this could work and we have
enough critical mass to see this through. Can I ask the JEuclid people
to start such a proposal document over at http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/?
I'll help fill in the blanks.

Everyone involved should read about the whole Incubation process at
http://incubator.apache.org
I will, too, because I've never done this, yet.

Can I please also get some statement from Erik and/or Ernest about what
they think about the idea? It's just that I cannot remember any
discussion about Incubation at the ASF on the JEuclid mailing lists and
I'd like to know how much they support this action. Max only said "my
wish". Thanks.

Jeremias Maerki