From Max Berger <...@berger.name>
Subject Re: Going for 1.4 or 1.5 as minimum Java version?
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2007 09:18:05 GMT
Dear XMLGraphics Devs,

Jeuclid is at 1.5, because generics andnums make programming much
easier, and annotations make it safer.

However: I've encountered different environments where 1.4 runs stable,
and 1.5 is an addon / does not work properly.

Examples:

OpenBSD (1.4 runs very well, 1.5 still crashes every once in a while)

OS X (1.4 was the default on 10.4 installations, 1.5 needs to be
installed / configured separately)

Linux / Sparc ( There is no "Sun" JDK 1.5, and the latest one is
blackdowns 1.4 )

GCJ: There is partiall support for 1.5, but i've had real problems
getting it to work stable.

All this will change once OpenJDK and / or IcedTea becomes available and
works properly.

my 2 cts.

Max