From "The Web Maestro" <the.webmaes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Moving JEuclid into Apache XMLGraphics as incubator
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2007 02:42:48 GMT
Max,

Thank you for your continued development and attention. On the
surface, JEuclild seems like a good fit with the Apache XML Graphics
to me (although I am not speaking for the entire Apache XML Graphics
PMC, which would require a VOTE).

As I recall , there was talk about the possibility of JEuclid getting
into Apache XML Graphics as another Sub Project a little over a year
ago. Of all Apache projects, XML Graphics seems like it would be the
best fit.

As for being the JEuclid/MathML Champion, I wouldn't feel comfortable
in that position at this time. For one, I'm not currently doing
anything that uses MathML.

I look forward to hearing and learning more about how JEuclid can work
with FOP can work together.

Clay

[1] Question about status of JEuclid and possible inclusion in FOP
http://www.nabble.com/Question-about-status-of-JEuclid-and-possible-inclusion-in-FOP-tf1531989.html#a4161892

[2] TinyURL version
http://tinyurl.com/ytehje

p.s. I believe Jeremias will be returning from a brief hiatus, so we
likely will want to post the question about inclusion for a couple of
weeks at least, until he returns.

On 9/14/07, Max Berger <max@berger.name> wrote:
> Dear XMLGraphics Team,
>
> it has been my wish for a while to integrate the JEuclid (
> http://jeuclid.sf.net/ ) project as a subproject of xmlgraphics. In
> the last year the project was revived and now consists of three active
> developers, who are willing to continue to donate their time to make
> the this THE MathML  Java implementation available on the net. The
> recent release of a stable version has (re-)sparked the interest of a
> diverse user-group, most of them developers themselves. The upcoming
> release of the MathML 3 spec gives new directions for further
> development.
>
> Moving the code two Apache would serve several purposes:
>
> First, the Apache brand is known for reliability and stability. The
> Apache name stands for trust - Any project under the name Apache
> received far more attention, and therefore a larger user and developer
> base, resulting in a more mature and stable product.
>
> Second, it would guarantee us legal safety. We could rely on the
> Apache layer team to ensure that what we are doing is legally correct.
>
> And third, it would allow us for even better integration with the
> XMLGraphics core - There are several areas where code could be shared,
> and reused rather than redeveloped. An example would be CSS support,
> which is already superb in Batik, but non-existing in JEuclid. But
> even simple items, such as parsing of color string do not have to be
> re-invented for every subproject.
>
> Of course, there are several issues to be solved on the way - the
> first one would be if the xmlgraphics project would be willing to be
> our sponsor, and thus this email. The second issue is that, should you
> vote to accept this project, we'd need a Champion, who has to be part
> of the PMC of the Sponsoring project (xmlgraphics).
>
> Please feel free to comment and ask questions.
>

> Max Berger

Regards,

The Web Maestro
--