From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: Integrating GSoC students' code
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2007 21:35:15 GMT
Cameron McCormack wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> Ivan and Jasleen, the two Google Summer of Code students working on
> Batik, are starting to write some code now.  I’m wondering what the best
> way of integrating their work would be.  Ideally (in my mind), they
> would each have a branch to commit code to, as that would give them more
> experience working directly with the project, rather than having their
> own, separate checkout of the code that they work on.  Is that possible?
> If not, what’s the best way to keep abreast of their contributions?

Having a branch and direct commit rights for GSOC contributions seems
to be a very good idea. Whether two branches are useful depends on
whether the contributors work on relatively isolated areas, and what
effort they can spend on coordinating work in overlapping areas. If
there are only a few potential conflicts, merging the branches back
into the trunk should be easy.
OTOH, letting them work on the same branch (or even the trunk) will
teach them to run unit tests before committing, and also to write
more unit tests themselves :-)

J.Pietschmann