From Cameron McCormack <...@mcc.id.au>
Subject Re: Integrating GSoC students' code
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2007 04:49:54 GMT
J.Pietschmann:
> Having a branch and direct commit rights for GSOC contributions seems
> to be a very good idea. Whether two branches are useful depends on
> whether the contributors work on relatively isolated areas, and what
> effort they can spend on coordinating work in overlapping areas. If
> there are only a few potential conflicts, merging the branches back
> into the trunk should be easy.
> OTOH, letting them work on the same branch (or even the trunk) will
> teach them to run unit tests before committing, and also to write
> more unit tests themselves :-)

Yeah, that sort of experience with committing code that will affect the
whole project is the type of experience I think would be useful.  I
think Gavin (on code-awards@) is right though, that CLAs would be
required if their code were committed, and since regular contributors
start off by just supplying patches, I might just stick with that (at
least initially).

--
Cameron McCormack, http://mcc.id.au/