From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2007 14:20:07 GMT
Vincent Hennebert wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Jeremias Maerki a écrit :
>
>>It seems you have picked it up already. The Wiki page for the project
>>ideas is up: http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2007
>>
>>If any FOP committer wants to mentor a FOP-related project, now's the
>>time to step up. I won't have time this year.
>>
>>Deadline is March 12 I think.
>

> Well this deadline is for the ASF to apply as a mentoring organization
> IIC. If we want to propose projects we can still update the Wiki page
> later. Last year I added a proposal for before-floats on that page in
> end of April.
>
> Having benefitted from mentoring last year I would have no objection to
> be myself a mentor this year. Right now I don't have project ideas in
> mind, but if a student comes up with a proposal I'd be happy to mentor
> her/him.

One project I was considering submitting is the refactoring of the
logging, i.e. separating out user feedback and developer debugging into
2 separate mechanisms in a thread safe way. Not the most exciting of
projects, but one that definitely needs to be addressed. Also one which
whilst it touches most class files (and therefore gives the student an
idea of how FOP works), it doesn't involve solving complex layout
problems for which the learning time is very large.

Last year we saw how long it took Patrick just to get to grips with the
table layout code and this meant there was very little time left for him
to actually implement something. So whilst complex layout problems might
be more interesting for the student, they have the risk of not being
completed within the allowed time frame.

<snip/>

Chris