From Manuel Mall ...@arcus.com.au>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release of FOP 0.93
Date Fri, 05 Jan 2007 05:52:23 GMT
On Friday 05 January 2007 13:30, The Web Maestro wrote:
> On 1/4/07, J.Pietschmann <j3322ptm@yahoo.de> wrote:
> > Simon Pepping wrote:
> > > I have again prepared the release files for the FOP 0.93 release.
> >
> > No stoppers but a somewhat "+0.8" only for a non-beta release
> > (mainly because of the first point). I'll open a bug so that fixing
> > the examples wont get lost.
> >
> > J.Pietschmann
>
> Like Jorg, I too had problems. But my problems occurred building via
> ant. I got WARNINGS with a few of the test cases, and a couple even
> indicated SEVERE. I'll provide some details (they're on a different
> system.
>
> However, after building, I didn't have errors executing FOP via the
> following command (from either the src build or the binary download):
>
> java -jar build/fop.jar -fo examples/fo/basic/border.fo -pdf
> ~/Desktop/border.pdf
>
> I too would give a tepid +0.8 for this so far.
>
> Machine Specs:
> - MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo 2.16GHz
> - Mac OS X 10.4.8
> - Java 1.5_03

FWIW, as I tested only the binary tar.gz distribution I just grabbed the
src dist and build from scratch (again all done under Linux). No
problems with the build as such at all. Yes, there are some niggling
bits like testcases fail when built in a headless environment and the
overall testcase build warns at the end because the hyphenation files
are not by default present. But that has always been the case.

Unless the problems observed by the Maestro and Joerg are actually new
and not present in the previous distributions I am still happy to
recommend to proceed with the release. In the end most users who rely
on distributions will just use the binary distro and that seems to work
fine.

And yes, it would be really nice to have it all perfectly clean and all
examples to build with a minimum of info/warn/error logs. But who is
going to do it?

> --
> Regards,
>
> The Web Maestro