From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Preparing XML Graphics Commons 1.1
Date Sat, 16 Dec 2006 21:16:17 GMT

On 29.11.2006 22:06:50 Simon Pepping wrote:
> A few remarks:
>
> In changes.html: Version 1.1 (n/a). Should n/a be changed into a date?

Yes, when it's known.

> In the ant report:
>     [chmod] Skipping fileset for directory /fsb/fsc/source/xmlgraphics-commons-branch-1.1/dist-bin/xmlgraphics-commons-1.1.
It is empty.
>     [chmod] Skipping fileset for directory /fsb/fsc/source/xmlgraphics-commons-branch-1.1/dist-src/xmlgraphics-commons-1.1.
It is empty.

> The resulting mode is 775, not 555 as the build file seems to request.
> My ant: Apache Ant version 1.6.5 compiled on July 1 2006.

Hmm, I've taken this over from the FOP build. I've never explicitely tested
the thing on Unix, yet. If you can figure out the original intent of the
chmod, it would be cool if you looked into this since you're apparently
on Unix. The chmod gets pretty much ignored on Windows.

> Why do the binary distributions have the java version in their name,
> and the xmlgraphics-commons-1.1.jar and the maven bundle not?

Hmm, that's a good question. I guess it's laziness or no real need. I
don't know enough about Maven to tell whether it is actually useful to
have there. ATM, I'm not even sure if the distinction between 1.3 and
1.4 is only relevant at build time or if it also matters at runtime.
After all, we only have one xmlgraphics-commons.jar in FOP/lib and it
seems to work for both 1.3 and 1.4. I believe I put the 1.4 binary in
there. Shrug.

> In the binary distributions: Is it a good idea to put
> xmlgraphics-commons-1.1.jar in the build directory? Would it not be
> clearer to have a lib directory with _all_ jar files?

We've had it like this in FOP for ages and other projects do the same.
For me, the lib directory is sort of a read-only directory (from a build
POV) with the dependencies. I prefer that all generated artifacts are
placed in the build directory so that they don't interfere with version
control. Just my opinion..

> Regards, Simon
>
> On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 03:10:27PM +0100, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> > Could anyone please check out the 1.1 branch and throw a second pair of
> > eyes on the stuff generated by an "ant dist"?
> >
> > https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/commons/branches/commons-1_1
> >
> > If everything's ok, I'll tag the branch for 1.1 and upload the
> > distribution candidates up to people.apache.org so we can vote on the
> > distribution. Once everything's ok and the vote is good, we can upload
> > that stuff to the mirror. This is a little different to what we've done
> > before and it seems to closer mirror the expecation of the ASF
> > membership concerning the release process. Any objections to this?

Jeremias Maerki