From Glen Mazza <gma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Preparing XML Graphics Commons 1.1
Date Fri, 17 Nov 2006 14:55:01 GMT
I don't like the implementation of this class[1] for two reasons:

1.) There are several if-else's missing curly braces.
2.) Methods setColor(),  setFont(), setPaint(), setBackground(), and
clip() quietly just return and rely on the previous values if the caller
provides a NULL argument.  It should set the value to NULL instead and
let the NPE occur naturally--that provides the quickest way for the
developer to realize that he or she goofed up.  If setFont(NULL) just
relies on the previous value of the font, as it does now, it is much
harder to track the error further downstream in the code.  See [2].

Glen

[1]
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/commons/branches/commons-1_1/src/java/org/apache/xmlgraphics/java2d/GraphicContext.java
[2] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-dev&m=111596910816787&w=2 (in
retrospect, apologies for the harsh tone).