From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Minimum J2SE requirements for XML Graphics
Date Mon, 09 Oct 2006 09:58:27 GMT
Last week on the Cocoon GetTogether we discussed J2SE requirements for
FOP. I brought it up because the end-of-life phase for J2SE 1.3.1 ends
soon, probably this month. See:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/download.html

There was an argument on Cocoon-dev which gave me a new view on the
topic:
http://www.nabble.com/-Vote--Java-5-as-minimum-JDK-requirement-tf2072590.html#a5718669
http://www.nabble.com/-poll--Java-5-as-minimum-requirement-for-Cocoon-2.2-tf2083663.html

In short, the argument was made that a company who is still on J2SE
1.3.1 would probably not upgrade their system and still stay on 1.3.1 so
they also don't need any new XML Graphics releases on 1.3.1. Applying
this and the fact that Sun will drop normal support for J2SE 1.3.1 by
the end of October (if J2SE 6.0 is delivered on time), we can probably
safely up our minimum requirements to 1.4.2, making our lives a little
easier for releases after the EOL of J2SE 1.3.1.

I send this here because for Batik and Commons the same question can be
raised. Thomas indicated himself that it becomes increasingly difficult
to keep everything compatible with J2SE 1.3. And my impression is the
same.

My proposal would be to do this: Poll the FOP and Batik user communities
again for the necessity to still support new releases on J2SE 1.3
specifically asking why people are still on 1.3 but having the need to
upgrade their FOP and/or Batik installation. I'd then propose to release
Commons 1.1 and FOP 0.93 still with support for J2SE 1.3 but setting the
minimum J2SE to 1.4 after that. Batik could already do this for the next
release as this will still take a while to finish I think.

Thoughts?

Jeremias Maerki