From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Using 3rd party GPL and LGPL code
Date Fri, 25 Aug 2006 06:24:53 GMT
Both licenses are generally not to be used in projects inside the ASF
because they are both not compatible with the ALv2. Although from the
ASF's point of view [1] GPL'ed software can use ALv2 licensed software,
to other direction is not possible due to the viral aspects of the GPL.
The LGPL is less affected but still has some of these problems.

There's a draft policy document [2] by the VP legal affairs (Cliff
Schmidt) which lists the approved and forbidden licenses. Although the
document is not strictly official, yet, it applies nonetheless already
because it is endorsed by the ASF board.

You will see that for the LGPL there are certain things that can be done
to use such a package [3] but I guess in many cases this is not
practical.

[1] http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html
[2] http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html
[3] http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html#options

So, given this info, MediaFrame and Cortado are off-limits. JOrbis could
be used indirectly through the Java Sound API but you cannot bundle it
with Batik. The same applies to JLayer if you use it together with that
Mpeg audio SPI plug-in through the Java Sound API. The good thing about
those standardized APIs is that they shield you from certain legal
aspects. Still, redistribution is not possible and the user might have
to do something in his environment to make it work. The whole thing
won't work out-of-the-box.

Not good news, I know.

On 25.08.2006 03:32:23 Cameron McCormack wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> What’s the go with bundling 3rd party GPL code with Apache projects?
> Not possible?  I ask because I’m thinking about implementing the SVG
> Tiny 1.2 audio/video elements for Batik and the GPLed MediaFrame[1]
> library is an implementation of MPEG4 that would be nifty to use.
> Cortado[2] is a Theora implementation, also GPL.
>
> Also, some audio libraries like JOrbis[3] and JLayer[4] are LGPL.  Are
> they ok to use?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Cameron
>
> [1] http://mediaframe.org/