From Glen Mazza <gma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: A small XMP framework
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2006 21:47:35 GMT
I unfortunately don't know much about XMP (I did look a little bit at
the Adobe links you had given earlier though), but here are a few
code-comments independent of the subject material at hand:

1.)  I would recommend any methods named in a JavaBeans fashion that you
may have to be purely for setting a private member variable or
retrieving the same private member variable.  For example, in your
DublinCoreAdapter,

    public void setTitle(String value, String lang) {
        setLangAlt("title", value, lang);
    }

This is not really setting a private String value named Title.  It is
actually adding to some array of some sort.  I think "addTitle()" or
similar would be clearer here.  As-is, when I look at the caller, for
example, MetadataFromScratch:

dc.setTitle("Der Herr der Ringe", "de");
dc.setTitle("Lord of the Rings", "en");

It causes the reader of the code to think that the second call may be
overwriting the value of the first call.   So something like
"addTitle()" instead would help readability IMO.

2.)  Offhand, XMPComplexValue looks like a candidate for being an
interface instead of an abstract base class.  It only has two methods,
both abstract.

3.)  I noticed several "//" commenting-out of code, some of which looks
like you will never be restoring it (throwaway code).  If you haven't
already, it would be nice if you could quickly search on "//" within the
newly added files to make sure each have a reasonable chance of someday
being reactivated, else just remove the commented-out code entirely.

4.)  Will the system *ever* run without an instance of XMPSchemaRegistry
being activated?  Within that class the Singleton instance is
instantiated only upon the first call to getInstance(), leaving vague
its necessity.  But if there is always going to be such an instance, you
might wish to instantiate via

static {
    instance = new XMPSchemaRegistry();
}

instead to emphasize that this object will always be created.

5.)  In XMPProperty:getEffectiveQName(), I suspect a user-friendly error
should be given if the namespace is not available within the
XMPSchemaRegistry instead of an NPE.  (i.e., if
"XMPSchemaRegistry.getInstance().getSchema(getNamespace());" returns null)

Also, I don't know the logic, but for XMPProperty:getArrayValue() below,
I think a simple class cast exception or a more user-friendly message
might be a better idea then just silently returning null, iff the callee
should know in advance not to call getArrayValue() if it hasn't already
configured the value to be an XMPArray.

    public XMPArray getArrayValue() {
        return (value instanceof XMPArray ? (XMPArray)value : null);
    }

6.)  Also, for XMPArray.getSimpleValue(), same issue as immediately
above but what if you have a one-element XMPArray?  I think the below
will return getValue(0) rather than the null (or error message) I think
you would like here:

   public Object getSimpleValue() {
        if (values.size() == 1) {
            return getValue(0);
        } else {
            return null;
        }
    }

If I'm correct, I think you would want to test on "values instanceof
XMPArray" instead.

7.)  In XMPSchemaAdapter.formatISO8601Date():  variables dt, zoh, and
zom should probably be spelled out to make it more readable.  I'm not
even sure what zoh and zom mean.  (hours and minutes, OK, but "zo" is
unclear to me.)

Glen