From "Ben Litchfield" <...@benlitchfield.com>
Subject Re: A small XMP framework
Date Mon, 22 May 2006 19:27:04 GMT
Sorry for the delay in response, been quite busy lately.

I am so interested that I actually started a project just last month,
it is currently hosted on SF at http://www.sf.net/projects/jempbox

AFAIK, there are no open source Java XMP libraries, and I think there
is only 1 commercial one for that matter so I started it.

I would gladly give any/all JempBox code to XML Graphics Commons, or
collaborate on a new design.

Ben

> (cc'd Ben Litchfield, project admin of PDFBox, because he might be
> interested, too)
>
> I'm about to start a little XMP framework (parser, DOM, merger,
writer)
> which I need to finalize PDF/A (and later PDF/X) support for FOP. XMP
is
> a subset of RDF defined by Adobe to provide a metadata storage format
> that is universally usable in many formats, PDF only being one of
them.
> It can also be used with SVG and XSL-FO, although for the latter there
> are no recommendations on the placement of XMP metadata. This is
> something I will want to address when I gathered some experience with
> this topic.
>
> Since this XMP framework will be rather small and since it's not
> FOP-specific I wanted to ask if anyone is against my implementing it
as
> part of XML Graphics Commons (org.apache.xmlgraphics.xmp)? I don't
plan
> to use any RDF libraries as the XMP's RDF subset should be easily
> manageable with minimal code, i.e. no external dependencies other than
> JAXP's APIs.
>
> The main reason why I need this is that it should be possible to
specify
> XMP inside an XSL-FO document. FOP should then use this info to
populate
> the PDF Info object as well as the PDF Metadata object for the
document.
> The metadata needs to be enriched with additional values which is why
> need a parser and a easy-to-use in-memory representation.
>
> The thing could also be interesting for Batik, in case anyone wishes
> port metadata from SVG over to the generated output files (PDF, EPS,
PNG,