From Glen Mazza <gma...@apache.org>
Subject removing votes from committers
Date Mon, 15 May 2006 15:08:23 GMT
Jeremias,

I was reviewing your statements[1] about how decisions are made on
Apache projects, namely that on XML Graphics, committers do *not* have a
vote and it is not the committers who nominate contributors for
committership.

However, what you are telling us appears to contradict rules 8.2 and 8.4
of our project charter[2], which we voted for and the Apache Board
already approved.  The charter rules state that the committers vote on
code changes and on nominations for other committers.  So your
clarifications made to Thomas appear incorrect, as he was actually
acting within the boundaries of the XML Graphics charter in holding a
committer vote for his subproject.

If it is indeed the case the XML Graphics project must follow the
charter of the Apache HTTPD one (in which committer voting is forbidden)
why did the board have us create our own charter, with our own unique
rules?  Further, if the Apache boards finds committer voting to be so
reprehensible, why did they approve our charter then, which explicitly
calls for that?

I think Leo Simons should explain personally why he finds committer
voting to be so reprehensible that we now need to discard the XML
Graphics charter rules on this issue.  Also, the Apache Board will need
to be sufficiently mortified by committer voting that it will declare
the XML Graphics charter to be null and void.  Failing that, according
to the charter, you will need to run a vote among the PMC members (of
which I am not one, nor plan to join for this vote) to remove votes from
committers.  Until then, the charter has to remain in force, with
committers continuing to vote on subproject-related matters.

Whatever anyone's personal concerns with committer voting, I'm sure you
agree with me that just disregarding/ignoring the charter would create a
much worse problem for us down the road.

Thanks,
Glen

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-dev&m=114709325926065&w=2
[2] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-dev&m=110802440807292&w=2