From Simon Pepping <spepp...@leverkruid.eu>
Subject Re: A small XMP framework
Date Fri, 19 May 2006 18:29:50 GMT
Interesting. XMP has been around for a while and has a powerful
sponsor in Adobe. Nevertheless, it does not seem to have gained a
large following. When a short while ago Adobe proposed XMP as a
standard for metadata in OpenOffice.org, it met with much
criticism. One point of criticism is that it has rules and limitations
which are rather unnatural in RDF terms.

I noticed this when I investigated XMP as a standard for inclusion of
metadata of publications in PDF. These are a few links that I
consulted:
http://www.snee.com/bobdc.blog/2005/12/using_or_not_using_adobes_xmp.html,
http://www.ldodds.com/blog/archives/000261.html,
http://www.ldodds.com/blog/archives/000263.html,
http://netapps.muohio.edu/blogs/darcusb/darcusb/archives/2005/12/07/opendocument-and-xmp,
http://netapps.muohio.edu/blogs/darcusb/darcusb/archives/2005/12/09/odf-and-xmp-comments.
At that time we were also pointed to this site,
http://www.xmp-open.org/, which is an effort to provide a broader
basis to XMP.

That all said, I am aware that XMP plays a role in various PDF
standards. And even if that were not the case, I am not at all against
an implementation in xmlgraphics-commons. If I have done my research
well, when completed it will be one of the few decent implementations
available. Adobe's own SDK provides minimal support, only in C++.

Regards, Simon

On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 02:33:05PM +0200, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> (cc'd Ben Litchfield, project admin of PDFBox, because he might be
> interested, too)
>
> I'm about to start a little XMP framework (parser, DOM, merger, writer)
> which I need to finalize PDF/A (and later PDF/X) support for FOP. XMP is
> a subset of RDF defined by Adobe to provide a metadata storage format
> that is universally usable in many formats, PDF only being one of them.
> It can also be used with SVG and XSL-FO, although for the latter there
> are no recommendations on the placement of XMP metadata. This is
> something I will want to address when I gathered some experience with
> this topic.
>
> Since this XMP framework will be rather small and since it's not
> FOP-specific I wanted to ask if anyone is against my implementing it as
> part of XML Graphics Commons (org.apache.xmlgraphics.xmp)? I don't plan
> to use any RDF libraries as the XMP's RDF subset should be easily
> manageable with minimal code, i.e. no external dependencies other than
> JAXP's APIs.
>
> The main reason why I need this is that it should be possible to specify
> XMP inside an XSL-FO document. FOP should then use this info to populate
> the PDF Info object as well as the PDF Metadata object for the document.
> The metadata needs to be enriched with additional values which is why I
> need a parser and a easy-to-use in-memory representation.
>
> The thing could also be interesting for Batik, in case anyone wishes to
> port metadata from SVG over to the generated output files (PDF, EPS, PNG,
> TIFF etc.).
>
> Links:
> - http://www.adobe.com/products/xmp/index.html
> - http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/xmp/sdk/index.html