From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject A small XMP framework
Date Fri, 19 May 2006 12:33:05 GMT
(cc'd Ben Litchfield, project admin of PDFBox, because he might be
interested, too)

I'm about to start a little XMP framework (parser, DOM, merger, writer)
which I need to finalize PDF/A (and later PDF/X) support for FOP. XMP is
a subset of RDF defined by Adobe to provide a metadata storage format
that is universally usable in many formats, PDF only being one of them.
It can also be used with SVG and XSL-FO, although for the latter there
are no recommendations on the placement of XMP metadata. This is
something I will want to address when I gathered some experience with
this topic.

Since this XMP framework will be rather small and since it's not
FOP-specific I wanted to ask if anyone is against my implementing it as
part of XML Graphics Commons (org.apache.xmlgraphics.xmp)? I don't plan
to use any RDF libraries as the XMP's RDF subset should be easily
manageable with minimal code, i.e. no external dependencies other than

The main reason why I need this is that it should be possible to specify
XMP inside an XSL-FO document. FOP should then use this info to populate
the PDF Info object as well as the PDF Metadata object for the document.
The metadata needs to be enriched with additional values which is why I
need a parser and a easy-to-use in-memory representation.

The thing could also be interesting for Batik, in case anyone wishes to
port metadata from SVG over to the generated output files (PDF, EPS, PNG,
TIFF etc.).

- http://www.adobe.com/products/xmp/index.html
- http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/xmp/sdk/index.html

Feedback and help welcome.