From Manuel Mall <man...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release coordination in XML Graphics (was: [VOTE] Release Apache XML Graphics Commons 1.0 and Apache FOP 0.92beta)
Date Thu, 13 Apr 2006 14:15:44 GMT
On Thursday 13 April 2006 21:25, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> On 13.04.2006 14:58:04 Peter West wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 12:11 +0200, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
<snip/>
> > That means that
> > changes to Commons have the potential to break both FOP and Batik
> > trunk builds. For those builds on both sides, then, there will need
> > to be Commons versioning information.
>
> That's true. As soon as both projects use Commons, we will have to
> be careful about changes. If we really need some kind of versioning
> info remains to be seen. One tool that helps us here is Gump. I
> wonder what the others think.

Not sure I really understand what the problem is or if the problem is
any different to any other project that publishes an API. Once you have
published an API (a contract) and you have customers using that API one
must be very careful about backwards compatibility and changes to the
contract. Any published API "suffers" from that constraint and nothing
special here about xmlgraphics-commons.

So the decision if it is worth the "pain" of having to maintain a
published API vs the gain in re-useability and loss of duplication by
having a commons project was resolved when the PMC voted in favour of
establishing this project.

Regarding versioning, IMO, every published JAR should contain sensible
versioning information. Regarding version dependency management outside
of formal releases yes that is an issue especially if one assumes that
there is a tight coupling between FOP and Commons development, e.g. FOP
trunk may require a non release (but non trunk) version of Commons to
work. That could possibly be handled by tagging the appropriate version
in Commons SVN (have a "floating" FOP Trunk label on the Commons SVN
tree identifying the Commons version currently recommended to be used
with FOP trunk).

> > Peter
>
> Jeremias Maerki

Manuel